UPDATE: Arlington police officer shot and injured in shopping plaza parking lot; suspect shot dead

A law enforcement official confirms an Arlington police officer has been shot and injured following an incident in the parking lot of Tom Thumb at Fielder Road and Randol Mill Road.

Multiple officers responded to the scene to assist the injured officer. The injured officer was transported to the hospital.

The suspect was also shot and transported to the hospital, but died.

The shooting occurred during a traffic stop, according to Arlington PD.

Arlington Police Chief Will Johnson tweeted that he has spoken with the injured officer at the hospital. The officer is “receiving excellent care.”

APD has blocked off a large portion of the Fielder Plaza parking lot while the investigation is underway. Avoid this area.

*Update* 2:30am Arlington PD has released the following release:

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 10:09 p.m., an Arlington Police Officer conducted a traffic stop for a traffic violation on a 4-door passenger car in the 1700 block of W. Randol Mill Road. The vehicle was occupied by a female driver and three male passengers. As the officer made contact with the driver, he requested two additional officers to the location as backup.

Two additional officers arrived shortly thereafter. The male officer who made the stop asked the female driver to step out of the vehicle. The female driver complied and another female officer began to deal with her. The backup male officer was standing on the passenger side of the vehicle and had the right front male passenger step out of the vehicle. When the male passenger exited the car, he began to flee on foot eastbound through a parking lot. The backup male officer began to chase the fleeing suspect. The original male officer who made the traffic stop also began to chase the fleeing suspect.

During the foot pursuit, the suspect produced a handgun and fired at the backup officer striking him. The backup officer fell to the ground after being struck. The other male officer discharged his firearm striking the suspect. Both the officer and male suspect were transported to local hospitals for treatment. 

Police Chief Will Johnson visited the officer in the hospital and reported that he is receiving excellent treatment from doctors and medical staff. 

The suspect was later pronounced deceased at a local hospital. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s Office will release the identity of the deceased once next of kin have been identified. This is an ongoing investigation to determine the timeline and exact sequencing of events. The other three occupants are cooperating with investigators and have been released at this time.