Dallas Fire officials release update regarding the collapsed crane

At around 8:30am this morning, Dallas Fire and Police personnel resumed operations in escorting apartment residents back into the building to retrieve personal belongings. Dallas Fire-Rescue continues to work alongside OSHA and other partners to determine the best course of action to remove the collapsed crane. No word yet on when that will take place.

The one person who died has been identified as a 29-year-old female. One person has been discharged from the hospital. A 35-year-old male and female patients have been upgraded from ‘critical’ to ‘good’ conditions. There is a 23-year-old male patient at Parkland in serious condition. They are all expected to survive.

The scene around the Elan City Lights apartment complex continues to be blocked off and will likely remain until the crane has been removed. There will also be an extensive clean-up operation inside the building itself and the parking garage.

Here is the official, full release provided by Dallas Fire-Rescue:

“(June 9, @ 7:43 p.m.) Dallas, TX : On Sunday, June 9th, at 1:57 p.m., Dallas Fire-Rescue responded to a 911 call for an “Industrial Accident” after a crane collapsed onto the Elan City Lights residence, located at 2627 Live Oak Street, on the outer edge of Downtown Dallas.

When firefighters arrived at the location, they observed a crane, being used at a construction site next to the building, which had collapsed onto the top of the five-story residential structure. Multiple resources, to include Fire Operations, Emergency Medical Services, Urban Search and Rescue and Hazardous Materials assets, were dispatched to the scene to help mitigate the situation following reports of multiple collapses resulting in multiple injuries.

There were 6 people taken to local hospitals, to include Baylor Scott and White and Parkland Hospital. Two of those people were critical, two were seriously injured, one suffered a minor injury and was quickly discharged from the hospital and 1 person died.

Using Fire personnel and 3 Live Find Dogs, DFR searched and cleared every unit that could be accessed, and found that no one was inside those locations. Residents living in spaces that were inaccessible were confirmed to be out either as having been taken to the hospital, or contacted directly by property management.

Though there were still parts of the building that were structurally sound, property management made the decision to have the entire location evacuated. Residents were systematically taken back inside the building, by a team of one firefighter and one police officer, to retrieve personal belongings. For the undetermined future, management has secured living arrangements for its residents in a “block of hotels”, set up a per diem system for food and established an 800 number for residents to call if they have questions that still need addressing. 

June 10 @ 3:15 p.m.: On Monday, June 10th, at 8:30 a.m. Dallas Fire-Rescue personnel resumed operations in escorting residents back into the safe areas of the property to retrieve belongings.

DFR is currently working with OSHA and the Biggie Crane Company to determine what course of action will be taken relative to the removal of the crane. As it currently stands, there has been no determination made on exactly when that process will begin, but it is believed that it will span over the course of at least two days.

At this time, the only fatality was a 29 year-old female. Last night, a second patient was discharged from the hospital. Today, we were informed that the remaining patients are expected to recover. Among those who remain hospitalized, 35 year-old male and female patients are at Baylor Scott and White and have been upgraded from critical to good condition since arriving at the hospital; and a 23 year-old male patient is at Parkland Hospital in serious condition.”