One person injured in ammonia leak at Mansfield business

The Mansfield Fire Department responded to reports of a suspicious smell in the 500 block of Airport Drive at around 7:30am this morning.

When firefighters arrived, they noticed a strong smell of ammonia and one person suffering from a medical emergency. Paramedics treated the individual for injuries likely related to the ammonia exposure, and transported them to a local hospital for further evaluation.

Firefighters determined the ammonia leak stemmed from a refrigeration incident at Don Lee Foods, a local food processing plant. They advised there was an ammonia leak from a refrigerator and it vented to the outside, exposing the nearby individual. There were no injuries at Don Lee Foods.

The Arlington Fire Department’s HazMat team responded to assist Mansfield firefighters. The leak was found to be contained. All air readings came back as normal and businesses were allowed to reopen.

A total of 18 firefighters and eight (8) fire apparatus responded to the incident. It was cleared within four hours.

SPONSORED: Surepoint Emergency Centers

Surepoint Emergency Centers