Arlington’s Parks Mall now open following ammonia leak near ice rink
A fire alarm was received from the Parks Mall at 1:47am, located at 3811 S. Cooper St., indicating that a system malfunction had occurred in the refrigerant system for the ice skating rink.
On arrival, Arlington FD crews noticed a strong smell of Ammonia on the exterior of the building near the entrance to the ice rink. The response was upgraded to a Hazmat call as the crews met with security.
Hazmat crews entered the building shortly before 3:00 am and confirmed that the leak was stopped. A strong odor of Ammonia spread through out the building and Hazmat crews using electronic meters have found ammonia levels that were unsafe for the building to reopen.
Measures to ventilate the structure, due to the size, are taking an extended amount of time. City of Arlington Health Department inspectors have been assisting.
The Arlington Police Department is also assisting Command to ensure that the building is secured and remains evacuated until the hazard has been mitigated.
The mall has since been reopened.