Two men found dead of likely CO poisoning inside Garland apartment

The Garland Police Department is investigating the death of two men who were found inside an apartment complex earlier this morning in Garland.

At around 10:00am this morning, Garland dispatch received a 9-1-1 call asking officers to check on an apartment resident who lived at the complex. When officers arrived, they locate two men inside the apartment.

Officers also located a generator inside the apartment that had run out of gas. Neighbors heard the generator running yesterday.

A preliminary investigation indicates both men were likely poisoned by carbon monoxide as a result of using the generator inside a closed space. The Dallas County Medical Examiner will rule on the official cause of death.

The victims have been identified as a 41-year-old man and 28-year-old man.

Officials urge the public to refrain from using generators or other heating devices, such as a propane or gas powered heater, inside the home or apartment. Extended use of heating devices inside a closed space without proper exhaust may cause serious or fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.