Electric oven to blame for 4-alarm apartment fire in northeast Dallas

At around 12:54am this morning, Dallas Fire-Rescue firefighters were called to a condominium on fire at 9819 Walnut Street. First arriving units found fire and smoke showing from the three-story building.

Due to a combination of structure fire and weather conditions, the fire escalated to four alarms, bringing approximately 100 firefighters to the scene. The fire was declared under control at around 2:30am.

Fire investigators have determined the fire was accidental in nature. They believe an apartment resident on the third floor was using his kitchen oven as a heating device. The oven caught items on fire in the kitchen. An orange glow awoke the resident of the condo to the fire. He was able to get out, but sustained burn injuries in the process. He was taken to a local hospital for evaluation, but later released.

There were no other injuries to residents or firefighters during the fire.