UPDATE: No injuries after gas line ignites, forces evacuations in Grand Prairie
Earlier this morning, multiple emergency responders from the Grand Prairie Police and Fire Departments responded to a gas leak in the 3000 block of E. Mayfield Road just east of SH-360.
As Grand Prairie PD arrived and began assessing the situation, the gas line ignited a major fire. This ignition occurred as firefighters were en route, according to officials.
Just after 12:00PM noon, officials ordered an evacuation zone and requested a Civil Emergency Alert be sent to forms of media to alert nearby residents. The evacuation was in effect for several hours, but has now been lifted.
The fire burned for around 8 hours.
At 7:07PM, it was reported by Grand Prairie FD that the gas-fed fire was out. ATMOS representatives were on scene throughout the incident to contain the flow of gas and suppress the fire.
One Grand Prairie PD patrol vehicle was burned during the ignition. Luckily, no officers or firefighters were injured during the incident.
At this time, the fire is out and residents are allowed back into their homes.